Thursday, March 10, 2011

WE ARE 20! Welcome to Brad Eklund!

Not our age, but our member numbers!  With our newest member, Brad Eklund, and his amazing, amusing, skillful, and environmentally sound wooden puzzles, we are now 20!  And actually, with his wife, Hazel, we have for the first time since opening more than 20 members in our gallery.





And now that we mention our opening, we will celebrate our FOURTH Anniversary during Fourth Friday Gallery Nights in April.  Save the date: April 22.

But I digress!  Brad's artist statement follows with some photos of his work.  More pieces are currently in our gallery, and several of his pieces have already sold - within DAYS!  Additional photos are viewable on our Facebook Page.


Brad, Hazel, and Baby Eklund


BRAD EKLUND, Woodworker

My passion and love for making sawdust is embedded in my bones and runs back several generations. I am driven by the “unknown-” which is why I am always thrilled to use woods that are unfamiliar to me. I use many species of wood found all over the world. To keep my environmental views in focus, almost every piece of wood used in my work is recycled, reclaimed, or salvaged. I use no stains or dyes just natural oils to bring out the natural beauty of the wood.

My heart lies in the construction of puzzles. I have been obsessed with puzzles of all forms since early childhood. I enjoy them because they are not just art but functional objects that get the gears turning in heads. My wife, Hazel, is a tremendous help in the making of puzzles and other art. It would not be possible without her.




1 comment: